Thursday, March 6, 2008

1958 Chevrolet Full Line Catalog

My boss Hary Borgman was the art director on this. The cover photo was shot on a clay prototype at the GM Tech Center. The art behind the car is probably still there and it is located in front of the Styling building or what was the styling building 50 years ago. The photographer was probably from GM Photographic and could have been Walter Farynk or Don Sudnick. It was very difficult to get a car to photograph in those days and this car was already at the Tech Center. In fact the styling dome was directly behind the car and it was easily moved to this location. No other choice. The rest of the catalog was done with art. Almost if not all the print advertising was done using art too. Photography was just getting started in the automotive ad industry. Not that it hadn't been used before but it was now becoming more popular and the film available was faster and better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi jim, I just ran across your blog, it sure brings back some memories. My years at CE were some of the best times in my career. Do you remember when I was sent to Argentina with Barney Clark and betty Skelton on a photo shoot ? I still keep in touch with Tom Clarke and Charlie Shridde.
I still am working, check out my website at harryborgman.com
Send me your e-mail address.
Harry

Anonymous said...

Hi jim, I should have given you my e-mail address, it's:
harryborgman@comcast.net
Harry