Monday, February 25, 2008

'66 Chevrolet --The Chevrolet Way--Newspaper Campaign

ERASE BUMPS. And at the bottom JET- SMOOTHER THE CHEVROLET WAY. Jet-Smooth had been a theme for the big Chevy ride for some time and continued to be the subject of ads. I made the layout for this one and I wrote or maybe drew the headline. When art directors still used pencil and paper to make ad layouts we all had big erasers called Pink Pearls. I thought it made a great headline-- erase bumps-- and actually erase the word bumps. In addition, I went to the local art supply store and bought a really big red eraser and carved it into the shape of the Chevrolet bow tie logo. On it I lettered erase bumps. The idea was to send one to each Chevy dealer when the ad ran or if feasible to produce them in quantity and have the Chevrolet dealers give them away. They were, after all, a Chevrolet logo that carried an important message. The ad ran but for whatever reason the eraser idea didn't go. I still have the carved Pink Pearl eraser. Bill Graefen wrote the rest of the copy for me.

No comments: