Saturday, February 9, 2008

'63 Chevrolet Newspaper

1 2 3 4 NEW KINDS OF CARS. I know I said I would show ads you might have and tell you something about them. Instead I have been showing a lot of newspaper ads. I'll get to more magazine ads soon but I thought some of you might enjoy seeing newspaper ads you don't have and probably never will have. Old newspapers were used to wrap the trash or start a fire in the fireplace so hardly any have survived. Yet, during this time Chevrolet spent more money on newspapers than anything else. Television was just getting started and Dinah began belting out "See the USA in your Chevrolet" back in the '50s. This ad was developed by my assistant Gerry Edmision and I don't remember who did the copy. And, we had so many ads going at any one time it is difficult to tell which artist did which ad. My boss Jim Hastings had developed the art treatment we used for newspapers and watched over every ad. As I recall he probably selected the artist. He was the finest critic of commercial art I have ever known. I have seen him give artists a near heart attack when they brought their art to him for approval and he took out a pen or brush and started working on it to show them what needed to be done. I like looking back at this stuff and remembering the fun I had in my '63 Corvair Monza Spyder Convertible. It would really go and I never did find out exactly how fast. It wasn't the greatest away from a light but shortly after when the blower kicked in it was fantastic.

No comments: