Tuesday, August 4, 2009



This is an interesting ad to me because of the people in it. The ad itself is pretty good and was shot by Warren Winstanley. I think we were at the Metropolitan Beach parking lot near Detroit. We used that location often when we needed a plain background. Chevrolet saved a little money when we used our family as models. The young lady in the car is Warren's daughter and the young man, I think may have been her boy friend. The "younger brother" in the back seat is my oldest son Tom. They were paid and had to sign a model release but didn't earn what real models would earn. It was fun for Warren and me to have our kids see what we did for a living. It is hard to see at this picture size but Tom is being offered a dollar to get out of the car and let his sister go alone with her boyfriend. 

Another interesting aspect of the ad is that Tom, the little guy in the back seat, got into the ad business too. He did pretty well and is now World Chairman and CEO of Leo Burnett 

3 comments:

Oliver said...

Jim, that's amazing. I just now realized that I worked with Tom at CME-KHBB back in the early 90's. Did you by any chance work with New Center Studios back in your Chevy days? My father, Lothar Hoffmann, was a designer there.

Jim Bernardin said...

Yes, we used New Center a lot. They were one of the larger and better studios at the time. Too bad in a way that computers had to come along and change that way of working but that is progress I guess.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Bernardin,

I couldn't find a way to contact you other than leaving a comment on your blog. Anyway, I have recently come into ownership of THOUSANDS or car ads from the 1920s-present. I've been doing a ton of research about them and about pricing them, but it all comes down to me not knowing enough about anything. I would love some advice and direction. My email is kaitwarnick1@gmail.com

Thank you,
Kait